29 Jun 2012

A self-effacing exhibitionist

I handed over my card bearing a print of one of my favourite mixed media paintings that I have produced over the years and the first thing I said was 'that's a bit out of date, I don't do much work like that these days'. Why did I feel the need to say that and how on earth is that going to help me at an artist's networking event?

16 x 20", Acrylic on canvas board - black gesso left visible
Having trained in Graphic Design I don't feel able to call myself an 'artist' when I am amongst other professional artists who have degrees in fine art so tend to downplay what I do although I know that the work I produce for exhibition is good and I have been exhibiting and selling work and accepting commissions for 30 years now (good grief). I am producing more expressionist works and am building up a couple of collections to promote to galleries rather than put in the usual group exhibitions. Once I have been accepted at a gallery, I'll feel more comfortable calling myself an artist.

But I need the 'gift of the gab' to be able to 'sell' my work rather than relying on it selling itself in exhibitions. Putting a piece of work in a local group exhibition and expecting to be discovered as an up and coming artist is akin to singing in the shower and expecting to find yourself suddenly fast-tracked through to performing on the main stage of the O2.

At the moment the art I have on show in the empty shop windows (see the Arlington Arts group blog) is promoting my art classes and workshops as this is a good source of income and something I enjoy. I will continue to put pictures into local group exhibitions for the same purpose but will keep my new work to either show in galleries or in solo exhibitions.  I'll try out some of my artistic sales pitches here and get your feedback. Watch this space. In the meantime, please give me some feedback on the above painting.


1 comment:

  1. I really like your above piece of work. I see it as abstract impressionism (if there is such a term! if not there should be.
    You are an extremely gifted ARTIST and produce some outstanding amazing works of Art.

    ReplyDelete

feedback...