14 Sept 2012

Call this working?!


well, possibly not, but I've been a full time artist for a week and am exhausted! But it's not over yet..

It really started last week when I began the hard slog of clearing the space for the Hailsham Arts Festival 'Open Studio' - more than just the studio, it was the whole of the double garage space, hallway and conservatory. The first couple of days seemed to consist of moving piles of general stuff from one place to another but I gradually got into the swing of putting things 'away', which sometimes involved a bin bag, and shunting furniture and space miraculously began to appear. But not for long because, with the help of sons and their unsuspecting friends, a plethora of screens and tables soon filled the area and I could start the process of hanging. 

I had persuaded Mum to let me show some of her work including her embroideries and we displayed some of Dad's pottery.  Anne came on Friday and hung her work, laid out sketchbooks and put out cards and prints to sell but after 2 days of hanging I’d only managed to squeeze in about half of my work and I still needed to add most of that to my catalogue. Saturday morning came and I dashed around like a headless chicken with number labels until, at11am, we were finally ready for our first visitors.
 
I wasn't under any illusions - we live off the beaten track, a long way out of Hailsham, and the Art Trail hadn't had nearly as much exposure as it should have had - so I wasn't surprised at the lack of crowds on the doorstep. But as I write on Friday evening, we have had a very satisfactory 45 visitors over 7 days, have made 2 painting sales, lots of card sales, a photo sale and made a good sized collection for Chestnut Tree House. 

This afternoon I found time to visit another venue on the Art Trail, in the centre of Hailsham, that had considerably less visitors than us despite being open longer hours each day which got me thinking about why. Our signage here definitely helps - we have balloons at the end of the lane, posters with the Hailsham Arts Festival and Art Trail logos and the opening days and times clearly shown and bunting on the gates. If a visitor is uncertain whether they are in the right place or at the right time, they may well turn away and go home. I also have mercilessly bombarded facebook friends and contacts with reminders, have emailed my large mailing list and have 'tweeted' frequently. I also had one of my paintings in an empty shop window in Hailsham High Street (part of the Art in Empty Shops project) with my name clearly shown and a copy of the Art Trail map in the window. 

I also think that offering free painting demonstrations and refreshments has drawn visitors who may otherwise not have bothered. So, they came for something free and the refreshments made money for the charity box, not me, but I got to talk to all of these visitors and they now know me, my name and what I do. Next time I have an art event, they will probably return and bring friends, they will spread the word and tell people about my work. Some of them are going to come to my future classes or art groups, some are interested in booking me to demonstrate to their art group, many have taken my Pet Portrait leaflets - it is all good networking and publicity.

In addition to the Open Studio, in the last 10 days I have given three 2 hour demonstrations to art groups (in Shoreham, Lancing and Pevensey), seven free demonstrations at home and one 3 hour workshop at Gallery North plus I have found time to do two initial sketches for a commission and start two new paintings, attend an evening Art and Business networking event in Eastbourne, hang some pictures at Hailsham Library and go to the weekly Arlington Art Group. All this and I've been able to sit and chat with visitors, chill at quiet times, read my book and walk the dog.
Just 2 more open days left to go then......oh blimey, I've got to put it all away again!!
If my poor long suffering family can cope with my unbearably awful mood in the run up to the event, my unreasonable demands on their time and muscles, and the disruption to the usual motorbike, tools and band equipment storage areas, I'll do this again!! Next time, I think I'll offer workshops most days, will only open the studio from 1pm and will try to get someone to display sculpture in the garden to make the most of the space - unless of course I have done my welding course by then and have my own collection of scrap metal sculptures to display....

 (Thanks to Tim Church for the photos!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

feedback...