11 Nov 2011

Influenced by Poppies, Mandelbrot and Gaudier-Brzeska

This week at art group our theme was 11/11/11 - remembrance day the obvious conclusion. Next week our theme is Mathematics, being the anniversary of the birth of August Mobius in 1790. This got me thinking about the mathematics of 11/11/11 and I started a design of 11 poppies each with 11 filaments and anthers, each of them with 11 extra anthers, a bit Mandelbrot (Benoit Mandelbrot)  inspired. Fractals and all mathematical images can be stunningly beautiful - have a look, google Mandelbrot and click 'images'. 




 I was talking yesterday about Henri Gaudier-Brzeska who was sadly killed in the trenches in 1915 just 4 years after he started to develop his art. I saw some of his sculpural work at the Vorticist exhibition at the Tate easrlier this year. I loved a small bronze carving of a fish and have done several designs blending this style with the 'fish in movement' paintings I have been working on.


I'll continue with my Mandelbrot Poppies next Thursday then post them on here when finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment

feedback...