4 Apr 2012

Oily nebula

 

paintings 2 4th april 2012 005 paintings 2 4th april 2012 006 paintings 2 4th april 2012 007 paintings 2 4th april 2012 008 paintings 2 4th april 2012 009 paintings 2 4th april 2012 010

I’d started this picture months back and spent hours using mixed media of all sorts and ended up with the rather bland image (top left) that wasn’t really one thing or another. I have a demonstration coming up in which I’ll be using acrylics and alkyd oil so I wanted to get the alkyd oils out again to have a practice. This seemed a god candidate and I was really pleased with the effects in pic 2 – this kind of effect had taken hours in a mi of ink, acrylic and pastel and here I’d achieved it in about 10 minutes. Soft blends, transparent mists – all very nebulaic. But there’s still no focal point so I worked on with a fine brush and white oil, blending in with a large soft brush, then finally adding a touch of blue to the top and left clouds and some extra deep paynes grey to get back a bit of the contrast. The entire cloud formations of the orginal picture have changed – there is a focal point to the finished piece but I actually prefer the set together. Shame I didn’t paint 6 of them..

No comments:

Post a Comment

feedback...