25 Oct 2012

Figures, rocks and kiwis




Three different styles, subjects and mediums here:
The nude is in mixed media and was done as my demo piece for my 10-4 workshop with the Bexhill Art society on Monday. The initial sketch (from a drawing done back in my first year of college!) was broken down into circles, triangles and straight lines onto the board, I then applied coloured tissue and other collage bits with PVA glue into the background, a few circles of tissue onto the figure's round bits (!), then painted in the figure with acrylics, a bit more acrylic on the background to reshape and finally some pastel and pencil work over the top.

The seascape was a very quick demo during my 6.30-8.30 class with the Hailsham Art Group on Tuesday - thick acrylic lilac to yellow blends for the sky and sea onto a primed piece of cartridge paper, I then added in the rocks and the orange glow, added PVA glue to the purple/blue acrylic mix to make a transparent glaze for the clouds. A bit more white into the sky and sea, dry-brushed rock colour onto the surface of the water, and finally a glaze of white over the background rocks.

The unfinished still life was Wednesday's 2-4 demo to the Acorn Painting Club in Worthing. On A1 paper using a variety of makes of soft chalk pastels, I sketched out the basic shapes in the green, working onto a dark gold coloured canford paper on the smooth side, gradually blending with finger or cotton bud. It's the first time I've ever tried drawing kiwis or gold platters so am pleased with the progress and intend to get it finished over the weekend. And before you say anything, its deliberately out of proportion and wonky, it's my still life style!

Well it's been a busy old week! I'm having to miss the Arlington Art Group session tonight because I'm going to the Blue Monkey Network event at the Towner in Eastbourne for a talk by the Binnie Sisters which I am really looking forward to. But I did get my Arlington Village Hall 'fix' last night because I went to the talk by Keith and Stella Myerson about their transatlantic adventures which was fascinating and had some beautiful seascape photos.
I need to give my hand a rest for a few days because my fingers kept locking up during the pastel demo, which was equally worrying and annoying because it was putting my smooth curves out a bit, but hope to be able to finish all incomplete works over the next week or two then get stuck into more works for my Rural Industrial and Band collections.
But right now, I'm off to the office to get engrossed in figures of a different kind - bookkeeping on Sage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

feedback...